Monday, April 28, 2008

Animaland - "The Ostrich"

I was rather surprised to see that in a relatively short time that the last Animaland short I posted reached a thousand views on Dailymotion. I don't know if it's because some other blog or site linked to or if it's that they're just not as well known and people are curious. Either way here's another one that I really enjoy. "The Ostrich", released in 1949, seems more "Lantz" like than even some of the other Animaland shorts. I don't know if it's the song, "Dont Hide Your Head In The Sand" or if it's the father ostrich's design that just make me think of mid forties Lantz cartoons directed by Shamus Culhane and Dick Lundy. I think they're great cartoons and recommend the DVD to anyone slightly interested in them. Here's a few model sheets to go along with the cartoon.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree. "The Ostrich" was another great addition to David Hand's Animaland series.

It does seem like a Walter Lantz cartoon more than it does David Hand. It may have have been both the song and character designs, or maybe it's the animation.

I hope you can post more "Animaland" cartoons soon.