Thursday, July 22, 2010

Ruff and Reddy

It would seem that Hanna/Barbera "borrowed" the names Ruff and Reddy from this other dog and cat duo that appeared in Peter Porkchops comics. I don't know much of anything about who created these two but I doubt Joe Barbera had anything to do with them. I'm assuming they were created by Peter Porkchops creator Otto Feuer, the difference here is Ruff is the dog and Reddy the cat. This story is from Peter Porkchops #2 published in 1950. Anyone out there know more about these two?

6 comments:

Steven M. said...

Nice comics. I wonder who drew this.

Daniel said...

Anyone else think the dog looks like a giant squirrel? It's that tail!

Yowp said...

Well, if they can purloin the names Tom and Jerry from Van Beuren...

Yowp

Anonymous said...

Lovely comics and beautiful artwork. I'm amazed at how much life these drawings have.

I finished digging through the Fox and Crow comics you sent me the other day yesterday afternoon. I felt like a kid in the candy store digging through them all. If only I had known about these when I was 10 a few years ago. If you wanna send me some more comics to read, please do so. I don't want to be a burden, so take your time.

Chris Sobieniak said...

Love to get some comics too!

Yeah that dog does have quite a bushy tail the way it was drawn.

ramapith said...

Ruff is an obvious dog's name. Reddy is the ideal name for a red cat. At least Peter Porkchops' staff got the first thing right. Hanna-Barbera, amazingly, got both wrong.

For years, as a kid, I knew H-B's Ruff and Reddy only from a picture or two I had in a book—a picture that didn't identify which was which. It seemed like it must be obvious. I was dumbfounded to learn I was wrong.